Saturday, May 15

Old Cow Syndrome

I suffer from Old Cow Syndrome and I'm sure I'm not alone. What is it? Well it's another way of saying the grass is greener on the other side. It's a real struggle, when I was married I envied my single friends their freedom to pick up and go and thought about how it would be nice to be able to go to school and travel if I wanted. Well now I get to live that life and now I'm looking back over the fence thinking of how nice it was on the other side. I mean really how perverse are we as human beings no matter what we have it seems it's hard to be content.


It isn't just marriage, this is the part of us that says you need a new pair of shoes, that keeps us buying new cars, new tech, and new clothes. It is so prevalent that consumer culture is built on it and it's not unique to North America, we just are financially able to take it to all new extremes. I mean the other day I was filling out a survey and listed under hobbies was Shopping. When did shopping become a hobby? I suspect if you looked at my life you might think shopping is one of my hobbies.


How do you fight this tendency? Do we need to? Is it sinful? I have lots of questions but no answers.

No comments: